On Tuesday, I gave a presentation about Demystifying Social Media Tools and Techniques for the PDXTech4Good group organized as part of NTEN’s 501 Tech Club, so the presentation was targeted to nonprofit organizations. It was about a 30 to 40 minute presentation followed by 2 breakouts:
- Learn more about the tools (Twitter, etc.) with Crystal Beasley
- Monitoring social media sites with Dawn Foster
Here are the slides from the first part of the presentation, and you can download the full size version from SlideShare if you want a better copy than the version embedded below.
Monitoring Breakout Section
In the monitoring section, I shared some of my favorite tools.
Keeping up with industry news:
- Find any good RSS reader and populate it with the top blogs from your industry. Netvibes and Google Reader are good choices.
Real time Twitter monitoring:
- TweetDeck (my favorite): Desktop application
- Monitter: Good solution if you need something browser-based
- More info on real time Twitter monitoring
Find shortened links to your websites when posted on Twitter:
- BackTweets: This is a fantastic tool
Advanced monitoring on the cheap:
- Yahoo Pipes: More involved tool, but you can do some very advanced monitoring. I have a bunch of video and written tutorials for getting started with Yahoo Pipes.