This video shows how to request a user input and use the keyword from the user as the filter in a Yahoo Pipe. If you haven’t already watched the 2 Minute Yahoo Pipes Introductory Demo, I strongly suggest that you watch it. The user input demo starts with the simple pipe created in the introductory demo and changes the filters from keywords hardcoded in the introductory pipe to the keyword from the user input.
Podcast Feed and iTunes
- The Demo Pipe. A copy of the User Input Demo Pipe click “View Source” to see the modules.
- Fetch Feed Module. Contains 2 feeds: ReadWriteWeb and GigaOM.
- Text Input Module. Leave Name and Position as the defaults. Prompt: “enter a keyword” or other instructions for the user. Default and Debug: “apple” in this example. You can generally use the same term for default and debug, but make sure that you use a word commonly found in your feeds that will generate enough volume for testing and will generate default results for your users to view.
- Filter Module. Filter by the keyword entered in the user input module by connecting the text input to the filter module as seen in the demo.
- Sort Module. Sort by date in descending order to make sure things are sorted in a logical manner.
- Pipe Output. The final module in every Yahoo Pipe.
Related Fast Wonder Blog posts