Bio: Dawn Foster
Geek, Community Manager, Blogger and Technology Enthusiast.
Dawn is currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Greenwich in London. She has almost 20 years of experience in business and technology with expertise in open source software, community building, community management, market research, strategic planning, management, and more. She is passionate about bringing people together through a combination of online communities and real-world events. She has experience building new communities, and managing existing communities with a particular emphasis on developer and open source communities. Most recently, Dawn was the Director of Community at Puppet Labs, and prior to Puppet Labs, she was leading the Community Office within Intel’s Open Source Technology Center. In addition to working at Intel, Dawn was an online community consultant, and she has worked at Jive Software, Compiere, and a Midwestern manufacturing company in positions ranging from Unix system administrator to market researcher to community manager to open source strategist.
While at Jive Software, she was responsible for building a developer community for Jive’s new Clearspace product line and managing the existing Ignite Realtime open source community. She was a co-founder and board member of Legion of Tech, a non-profit chartered with organizing free events for the Portland, Oregon technology community. As part of her work with Legion of Tech, Dawn was an organizer for Portland BarCamp, Ignite Portland and other events. She was also a co-founder and community evangelist for the location-based startup, Shizzow. Dawn holds an MBA from Ashland University and a bachelor’s degree in computer science from Kent State University. Dawn blogs about online communities as the author of the Fast Wonder Blog, and she blogged for GigaOM’s WebWorkerDaily for a few years. She is the author of the books, What Dawn Eats: Vegan Food That Isn’t Weird and Companies and Communities: Participating without being sleazy.
You can read Dawn’s Fast Wonder Blog to learn more about her ideas, and you can find links to Dawn’s many projects and accomplishments below.
Projects and Accomplishments
Author of 2 Books: Paperback, PDF, and Kindle formats.
- What Dawn Eats: Vegan food that isn’t weird
- Companies and Communities: Participating without being sleazy
Places Dawn has Blogged
Past Project Highlights
- Co-Founder and Board Member of Legion of Tech non profit organization
- Ignite Portland Co-organizer
- BarCamp Portland Co-Organizer
- The Crazy Neighbor
- Yahoo Pipes Video Podcast
More About Dawn
Upcoming and Past Speaking engagements
Interviews, Quotes and Mentions in the Press
- The Ferengi are bad examples for open-source community management
- Linux Magazine Video interview about MeeGo at LinuxCon 2010
- OSCON Interview about Intel and Open Source
- CNET: Compiere loses open-source executive to Jive
- USENIX WiAC Interview: Dawn Foster, Puppet Labs Community Lead
- ReadWriteWeb: Seven Social Media Consultants That Deliver Tangible Value
- FT.com Financial Times
- Olliance Group Recruits Community Expert Dawn Foster to Lead New Online Community Practice
- Dawn Foster joins the Olliance Group to lead new online community practice
- Online Community Expert Interview: Dawn Foster, Fast Wonder Consulting
- Introducing the ReadWriteWeb Guide to Online Community Management
- The Oregonian (newspaper): Ignite Portland 2 Feature
- Download Squad Interview about BarCamp Portland
- SXSW Open Source Panel Review
- The 451 Group: Compiere loses community liason
- The 451 Group – Compiere Hires Community Liaison
- OSCON Art of Community Session Review
Past Projects and Older Blogs
- Jivespace Developer Community: I built and managed this community.
- Jivespace Developer Podcasts: Series of developer videos I created while at Jive Software.
- Ignite Realtime Community: An open source community that I managed at Jive.
- Shizzow: Co-founder and community evangelist for this location-based startup.
- Author: O’Reilly Women in Technology.
- Fast Wonder Community Podcast: An occasional online community podcast.
- Portland is Awesome: Blog about Portland
- Ignite Realtime Community Blog
- Jivespace Developer Community Blog
- Open Culture Blog: The predecessor to Fast Wonder.
- Compiere Blog: Blog I started and maintained while at Compiere.
- Intel Trends in Web 2.0 Blog: One of the first 5 blogs on Intel.com.
The History of Fast Wonder
The Fast Wonder blog is an evolution of Dawn’s Open Culture blog originally started in November 2005. A number of other “Open Culture” blogs gradually appeared over the years, and the time came to come up with a more original name and a real logo for this blog. If you think about it long enough, you will understand why Dawn Foster chose the name “Fast Wonder” for her company and blog. A big thank you to Stephen Way for designing the Fast Wonder logo.
The best way to contact Fast Wonder: