While many people use Yahoo Pipes to filter RSS feeds, Pipes can also be used to modify RSS feeds to work better for your purposes. In this example, we will add the author name to the beginning of the title to make it easier to see the author without opening the item in your rss reader. I recommend watching the Introduction to Yahoo Pipes: 2 minute Yahoo Pipes Video Demo if you haven’t already, since we’re going use the basic pipe developed in that demo using fetch feed and sort modules, but without the filter module.
You can watch the embedded video above, but I recommend downloading the higher resolution Quicktime file (19 MB) or clicking the full screen toggle icon in the player to watch. The quality will be much better than the flash version embedded above.
- The Demo Pipe. A copy of the Modifying RSS Feeds demo pipe click “View Source” to see the modules.
- Fetch Feed. Fetches the elements from 2 feeds: ReadWriteWeb and GigaOM.
- Sort Module. Sort by date in descending order to make sure things are sorted in a logical manner.
- Loop module with String Builder Module. Loops through each element in the feed and builds a string with item.author: item.title. This string is assigned back into item.title.
- Pipe Output. The final module in every Yahoo Pipe.
Related Fast Wonder Blog posts